Providing quality, liveable, affordable, sustainable communities
Medium density housing is rapidly gaining momentum throughout NZ as a way to deliver more affordable dwellings. When done well, medium density can provide quality, affordable and sustainable housing and liveable communities. Research is identifying what good practice medium density looks like, and new community housing developments are trialling medium density in real life.
This Housing Matters event combines presentations with panel and discussion sessions, to explore the following themes:
- NZ sectoral issues and challenges
- Key aspects of successful medium density housing – tools to help
- Tenure / social mix / tenancy management
- Disruption and innovation
- What sort of density – how many storeys and what should it look like?
- Growing sector capability and examining better practice
Join with other community housing providers, developers, investors, designers, building professionals, planners and policy makers to discuss the issues.
Afternoon tea is provided and the event will be followed by an informal drinks and networking session between 5.00 - 6.30pm. Doors open at 1.30pm - session starts at approx. 1.45pm.
1.30pm: Doors open
1.45 pm: Session 1 - What makes for good medium density?
- Defining medium density: Recent BRANZ work has been undertaken to scope out and define the context for medium density housing in New Zealand
- Exploring medium density: Beacon Pathway will outline some of the key aspects of succesful medium density, drawn from recent study tours and completion of a medium density assessment tool available for developers and community housing providers.
- Setting the scene - local case studies: Lessons learned from recent developments by community housing providers
3.10 pm Afternoon Tea
3.30 pm: Session 2 - Facilitated panel discussion: Exploring tools for success
Panellists currently include:
- Bernadette Pinnell - Compass Housing Services
- Peter Jeffries - CORT Housing
- Jade Kake - Te Matapihi
- Anne Duncan - BRANZ
5.00pm: Event finish
5.00pm - 6.30 pm: Informal drinks and networking
CHA and Beacon Pathway members - FREE
Non-members - $30
Housing Matters is a series of workshops, seminars and site visits which aims to bring investors, housing providers, designers, developers, builders, researchers, regulators and planners together to share information, explore case studies, develop opportunities for collaboration, and focus on solutions for quality housing development throughout the country.
If you are unable to make this event but would like to be put on a mailing list for future events, please contact Verney Ryan at email@example.com.