Job Vacancy: Senior Advisor Maori Housing and Organisational Responsiveness
- Based in Auckland CBD
- Full-time, three year fixed term
- Engage with mana whenua and Māori communities of Tāmaki Makaurau
- Support the delivery of Maori led housing solutions
What does Tāmaki Makaurau have that makes us stand apart? What is the thing that we have that nobody else can claim in quite the same way? Aucklanders have told us, and now Auckland Council has a vision to showcase our Māori identity as our unique point of difference. We are on a mission to significantly and continually improve the responsiveness of the Auckland Council group to Māori.
The Development Programme Office (DPO) as part of the Operations Directorate within Auckland Council has a rare opportunity for you to be part of this journey. You will be part of our Māori Responsiveness Hub; a cross council team supporting the delivery of tangible Māori housing outcomes.
The Auckland Council Development Programme Office ensures that council is able to provide programme management of significant public and private infrastructure delivery and investment on complex and major redevelopments. This provides a crucial role in enabling Auckland to grow through quality development in its centres and across the region. The Development Programme Office leads the delivery of the Māori Housing programme for Auckland Council as a way to improve Māori responsiveness and respond to an identified need in housing.
We are seeking a passionate individual who understands the importance of Auckland Council's partnership with mana whenua and mataawaka and the contribution they have to enriching our culturally diverse city. Part of our commitment to be truly responsive to the needs of Māori of Tāmaki Makaurau is illustrated through the DPO commitment to support Māori led housing solutions that achieve affordable housing and papakāinga outcomes.
You will play a key role in the planning, delivery and allocation of grants within the Maori Housing Programme as it relates to the Whare for Life initiative. As part of your role you will:
- Build strong relationships amongst the providers of Papakāinga/ Māori Housing
- Build strong relationships within Council, and amongst Māori and the wider development community.
- Drive and support effective engagement with Māori on issues led by the DPO and in particular, play a central role in engagement with stakeholders and Papakāinga/Māori housing providers on Māori housing issues.
- Promote Māori responsiveness across the organisation
Your Skills and Experience
Enhancing opportunities for Maori housing and papakainga development continue to be important matters for iwi. Previous experience working within a hapū or iwi on papakāinga planning and development will be beneficial to understanding the planning requirements for this role
Your ability to play a conduit role, refining your great communication skills to manage complex relationships will help you thrive in this position. You will flourish in an environment which demands engagement - community-based right through to working with senior leadership.
Your skills and knowledge will include:
- Relevant tertiary qualification
- An appreciation of good process - strong project coordination skills, contracting processes, strategic planning
- Proven knowledge of organisational best practice - building toolkits for use by council staff
- Good understanding of the landscape of mana whenua and Māori communities living in Tāmaki Makaurau
- Knowledge and experience of development and development processes
- An understanding of contracts and funding agreements
Auckland Council is working to achieve a transformational shift with and for Māori and deliver on Council's vision of celebrating Tāmaki Makaurau Māori identity as our point of difference in the world.
If this sounds like you, we are interested in hearing from you.
Application for this roles closes on Sunday 20th November 2016
Click here for more info and to apply.