Job Vacancy: Tenancy Mediator
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE), Wellington
Closing Date : 19 Mar 2017
- Do you have a passion for helping people?
- Are you a strong communicator, both verbally and written?
- Are you experienced in working with Maori, Pacific peoples and other cultures?
- Are you interested in Residential tenancy dispute resolution?
- Manukau based location
Resolution Services is a critical part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment. It provides dispute resolution services for landlords and tenants, including mediation and information and education.
We’re looking for a bright, capable individual with strong people skills, a passion for assisting people in dispute and excellent communication skills, to join our high-performing team of mediators.
Tenancy Mediators play a critical role under the provisions of the Residential Tenancies Act. As a Mediator with MBIE, you’ll need to be able to work effectively with people across a range of different cultures and backgrounds. Provide expert problem solving assistance to Landlords and Tenants in an impartial capacity, to resolve problems in any aspect of their tenancy relationship, to help bring them to an agreed settlement. It’s an important, interesting, and challenging job.
Do you have what it takes?
- Strong experience in managing people in conflict situations.
- A fair understanding and a keen interest in dispute resolution processes.
- Good written skills in order to write legal and binding Orders of the Tenancy Tribunal.
- Strong oral communication skills, whether in person, or by telephone.
- Ability to work autonomously, confidentially and professionally, at times in emotionally-charged environments.
- Flexibility to work in a dynamic, changing environment.
- Willingness to deliver public education to target audiences in accordance with national processes.
- Well-developed active listening skills.
- Ability to network across a broad range of internal and external clients, particularly other government agencies.
- Experience working with Maori, Pacific people and other cultures.
- Mediation/dispute resolution training qualification or a tertiary qualification is desirable but not essential.
- A sound knowledge of the Residential Tenancies Act, and/or the ability to interpret legislation would be advantageous.
To find out more or apply:
Click on the “Apply Now” button to read and download the position description. Please apply directly online, complete the application form and submit your CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for this role.
If you have any queries please contact Kate Triplow at email@example.com.
Please note interviews are likely to be held 23rd/24th March 2017.
Applications close at 5.00pm, Sunday 19th March 2017.