The Healthy Homes Guarantee Act (No 2) passed into law in December 2017, amending the Residential Tenancies Act 1986. The Healthy Homes Guarantee Act enables the government to create regulations that set minimum standards to create warmer, drier rental homes (the healthy homes standards).
The Minister of Housing and Urban Development has released a discussion document on proposed standards to create warmer, drier rental homes (the healthy homes standards), following the passing of the Healthy Homes Guarantee Act in December 2017.
A copy of the discussion document and a summary of the proposed standards are available online at: www.mbie.govt.nz/healthy-homes
The healthy homes standards will set minimum requirements for rental homes on:
- Heating: where should heating devices be located, what indoor temperature should heating devices be able to achieve, should landlords only provide fixed heating where portable heating devices are insufficient to achieve the required indoor temperature, and should some heating devices not be acceptable?
- Insulation: what is an appropriate level of insulation, and how should the condition of insulation be assessed?
- Ventilation: what is the appropriate level of ventilation to ensure adequate airflow in areas of high moisture?
- Moisture ingress and drainage: are existing laws sufficient to protect against moisture and inadequate drainage, or could regulations better protect against moisture entering the home?
- Draught stopping: what appropriate measures should landlords take to stop draughts?
We invite you to submit your views on the proposals in the discussion document.
Your feedback is also sought on the timing and phasing for when landlords must comply with the standards.
Submissions are open until 6pm on Monday 22 October 2018.
You may make your submission by:
- Filling in the online survey at: www.mbie.govt.nz/healthy-homes
- Emailing your submission to: email@example.com
- Posting your submission to:
Healthy Homes standards / Housing and Urban Branch
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
PO Box 1473, Wellington 6140, New Zealand